Anna University was established on 4th September 1978 as a unitary type of University. It offers higher education in Engineering, Technology and Allied Sciences relevant to the current and projected needs of the society. Besides promoting research and disseminating knowledge gained therefrom, it fosters cooperation between the academic and industrial communities. The University was formed by bringing together and integrating two well-known technical institutions in the city of Madras. Anna University situated in four campuses namely College of Engineering, Guindy (1794), Madras Institute of Technology, Chrompet (1949), Alagappa College of Technology (1944), School of Architecture and Planning (1957). Since December 2001,it has become a large, highly renowned Affiliated University, having brought into its fold about 4 Regional Centers, 13 Constitutional Colleges, 12 Government Colleges, 3 Government-aided Engineering colleges and 588 Self-financing Engineering Colleges located in various parts of Tamilnadu State.
The Anna University is a member of the Association of Indian Universities, the Association of Commonwealth Universities and Partner of UNESCO, International Center for Engineering Education (UICEE). UGC has accredited Anna University with Five Star status in 2002 & Grade A, CGPA:3.46, the CGPA awarded to us is the highest among all the State Universities of our state, second highest among all the State Universities of the country in 2014. With proven capabilities both in academic and research areas, Anna University was able to receive this honour for a period of five years in excellence in Technical Education.
The University Library was started in the year 1978 which gradually gained autonomy from December 2000. The University Library is located in three campuses, the Main Campus comprising of College of Engineering (CEG) and Alagappa College of Technology (A.C. Tech), Madras Institute of Technology (MIT) campus and School of Architecture and Planning (SAP) campus in a sprawling green eco-friendly environment spanning around 4206 sq.mts, 1609 sq.mts and 389 sq.mts respectively. Around 15,100 registered users access the library. All the library functions have been well automated and entry into the library and book transaction is made possible with RFID Technology using smart card. The University Library is subscribing e-resources such as IEL online, Science Direct subject collection, Scopus Database and SAE Internationals journals. In addition to the subscribed e-resources, the users can also access the e-resources available under e-ShodhSindhu: a Consortium for Higher Education Electronic Resources initiated by MHRD and executed by INFLIBNET Centre, Ahmedabad. Our University ranks 7th place in e-resources usage in all over India and stands 1st place in Tamil Nadu. The University Library ranks 4th at the National Level and ranks 1st place by uploading the theses of Anna University Research Scholars on various subjects on Shodhganga project by UGC INFLIBNET Centre, Ahmedhabad.